2007 Winners and their Suppliers
The following 35 products have been named winners in the 2007 Medical Design Excellence Awards competition. Submitting companies were presented with either gold or silver awards at the MDEA ceremony, held in June during the Medical Design & Manufacturing East 2007 Conference and Exposition, in New York City. Suppliers honored in connection with these winning products earned the exclusive right to use the designation “Supplier to a 2007 MDEA Winner.”MDEA Past Winning Product Search Tool
Use the "Award Winners" nav links on the left or the search tool below to search for past winners..
Critical-Care and Emergency Medicine Products
Cool-Cap neonatal head-cooling system, manufactured by Olympic Medical Corp. (Seattle, WA). Entry submitted by Natus Medical Inc. (San Carlos, CA). The Cool-Cap system enables neonatologists to provide selective head cooling as a treatment option for full-term infants with clinical evidence of moderate to severe hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, thereby reducing long-term neurological damage.
Impella 2.5 circulatory support system, manufactured and submitted by Abiomed Inc. (Danvers, MA). The Impella 2.5 is the world’s smallest ventricular assist device. It provides increased circulatory support during catheterization laboratory procedures such as high-risk angioplasty.
- Organ Care system, manufactured by Transmedics Inc. (Andover, MA). Entry submitted by Farm Design Inc. (Hollis, NH). The Organ Care system is designed to maintain transplantable organs in a warm functioning state outside the body in order to optimize their health and permit continuous clinical evaluation. Supply and design credit to Atlantic Industrial Models (Essex, MA), Design Formations (Blackstone Smithfield Industrial Park, RI), Dynamic Plastics (Chesterfield, MI), Farm Design, Forecast (Carlsbad, CA), and Vermont Composites (Brattleboro, VT).
Dental Instruments, Equipment, and Supplies
- EtchMaster dental air abrasive etching instrument, manufactured and submitted by Groman Inc. (Margate, FL). EtchMaster is a disposable micro air abrasion tip for localized intraoral etching of tooth surfaces and prosthetics. Each EtchMaster tip is prefilled with abrasive powder and is powered and controlled by air via a simple chairside adapter. Supply and design credit to Bailey Packaging (Cranford, NJ), and Samco Scientific Corp. (San Fernando, CA).
- Ezlase diode dental laser system, manufactured and submitted by Biolase Technology Inc. (Irvine, CA). Ezlase is a dental laser system that uses semiconductor diode technology; a unique wavelength; and sterile, single-use fiber tips to perform soft-tissue clinical procedures with minimal bleeding and maximum patient comfort. Supply and design credit to Liquidmetal Inc. (Lake Forest, CA), Morphix Design Inc. (San Clemente, CA), and Vista Dental Inc. (Racine, WI).
- Orthoralix 8500 panoramic dental x-ray unit, manufactured by Ka Vo Dental Corp., Gendex Dental Systems (Des Plaines, IL). Entry submitted by Cesaroni Design Associates Inc. (Glenview, IL). The Orthoralix 8500 is a panoramic x-ray unit used to take dental x-rays. The panoramic system provides superior mechanical performance while producing excellent diagnostic image quality. Supply and design credit to Cesaroni Design Associates, and Profile Plastics Corp. (Lake Bluff, IL).
- Thermoplastic Drill Template Set, manufactured by Institut Straumann AG (Basel, Switzerland). Entry submitted by Applied Dental Inc. (Mountain View, CA). The Thermoplastic Drill Template Set enables a dental surgeon to fabricate an accurate radiographic and surgical guide in minutes. It marks the desired site of implantation and enables precise use of the cutting instrument during implant bed preparation. Supply and design credit to Applied Dental.
General Hospital Devices and Therapeutic Products
- Episure AutoDetect epidural syringe, manufactured and submitted by Indigo Orb Inc. (Irvine, CA). The Episure AutoDetect epidural syringe is a spring-loaded, loss-of-resistance, 10 cm3 syringe used during epidural anesthetic procedures. The device is intended for use with an epidural needle to verify placement of the needle tip in the epidural space. Supply and design credit to Apex Engineering (Torrance, CA), and Hi Tech Group Inc. (Anaheim, CA).
- Mobile Clinical Assistant, manufactured by Intel Corp. (Beaverton, OR). Entry submitted by Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA). The Mobile Clinical Assistant is a tablet computer for the healthcare industry. It is used by doctors and nurses to organize, store, and process patient information. It is also a diagnostic tool, used to retrieve and analyze test results. Supply and design credit to Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA).
- Odor Absorbing Hydrocolloid wound dressing, manufactured and submitted by Avery Dennison Medical (Turnhout, Belgium). The Odor Absorbing Hydrocolloid dressing captures wound malodors and absorbs exudate from lightly to moderately draining wounds. It provides a protective, occlusive barrier that facilitates autolytic debridement, granulation, and epithelization.
- Pinnacle total parenteral nutrition management system, manufactured and submitted by B. Braun Medical Inc. (Bethlehem, PA). The Pinnacle total parenteral nutrition management system uses advanced bar coding and software technology—including a Windows browser-based user interface—to increase caregiver productivity while also protecting patient safety. Supply and design credit to Arizona Medical Devices (Scottsdale, AZ).
- SureSkin central catheter and IV dressing, manufactured and submitted by Euromed Inc. (Northvale, NJ). SureSkin is a transparent caregiver-inspired hydrocolloid central catheter or IV dressing with a one-step application. It adheres securely yet gently, providing a waterproof barrier against contaminants and a conformable fit in challenging locations.
- Symbiq infusion system, manufactured and submitted by Hospira Inc. (Lake Forest, IL). The Symbiq infusion pump is a state-of-the-art medication management system that combines ease of use, reliability, and advanced technology, and incorporates MedNet patient safety software to increase safety and usability. Supply and design credit to Design Concepts Inc. (Madison, WI), and Minnetronix Inc. (St. Paul, MN).
- Vest airway clearance system, model 205, manufactured and submitted by Hill-Rom Co., Inc. (Charleston, SC). Designed exclusively for acute- and long-term care environments, the Vest airway clearance system, model 205, uses high-frequency chest wall oscillation to remove retained secretions due to acute and chronic respiratory conditions.
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Gynecare TVT Secur system for treating stress urinary incontinence, manufactured and submitted by Ethicon Inc., a Johnson & Johnson company (Somerville, NJ). The Gynecare TVT Secur system is a pubourethral sling for treating female stress urinary incontinence resulting from urethral hypermobility or intrinsic sphincter deficiency.
- OrthoGlide medial knee implant, manufactured and submitted by Advanced Bio Surfaces (Minnetonka, MN). OrthoGlide is a cobalt-chrome medial knee compartment implant that reduces pain in osteoarthritic patients by providing a low-friction articulating surface. It can be implanted through minimally invasive outpatient surgery, with no bone cutting. Supply and design credit to Doncasters Medical Technologies (Oregon City, OR).
- StimLoc deep-brain lead immobilizer, manufactured and submitted by Image Guided Neurologics (Melbourne, FL). StimLoc is a permanent implant used to immobilize electrical leads used for deep brain stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, and dystonia. Supply and design credit to Medtronic Neurological (Minneapolis, MN), Reflex Medical Molding (White Bear Lake, MN), and Vertex Technology LLC (Saint Paul, MN).
In Vitro Diagnostic Products and Systems
Piccolo Xpress chemistry analyzer, manufactured and submitted by Abaxis Inc. (Union City, CA). The Piccolo Xpress is a point-of-care blood chemistry analyzer for use in medical or veterinary applications. It can provide up to 14 different blood chemistry values from a 100 µl sample in approximately 15 min. Supply and design credit to James Toleman Industrial Design (Puget Ville, France).
- Symphony one-touch histology slide preparation system, manufactured and submitted by Ventana Medical Systems Inc. (Tucson, AZ). The Symphony system automates the preparation of hematoxylin- and eosin-stained histology slides, resulting in high-definition slides that improve diagnostic visualization and provide exceptional discrimination of microanatomic detail. Supply and design credit to Acu-Cast Technologies LLC (Lawrenceburg, TN), Bürkert Contromatic Corp. (Irvine, CA), CPC Colder Products (St. Paul, MN), Kerk Motion Products (Hollis, NH), Piper Plastics Inc. (Chandler, AZ), and Thermal Circuits Inc. (Salem, MA).
- UltraCrit hematocrit measurement device, manufactured by Separation Technology Inc. (Altamonte Springs, FL). Entry submitted by Key Technologies Inc. (Baltimore, MD). Intended for use in the blood banking industry, the UltraCrit device uses ultrasound technology to quickly and accurately quantify hematocrit levels in human whole blood for the purpose of screening blood donors. Supply and design credit to CD Product Designs (Columbia, MD), Conductive Technologies Inc. (York, PA), and Key Technologies Inc. (Baltimore, MD).
Medical Product Packaging, Graphic Instructions, and Labeling Systems
- Ospol dental implant system packaging, manufactured by Ospol AB (Malmö, Sweden). Entry submitted by Avalon Technology AB (Solna, Sweden). Ospol dental implant system packaging is used to organize and handle the Ospol implant system at dental clinics, providing safe and easy use in a sterile environment. It fits together with all parts and supports all phases of the Ospol implant system. Supply and design credit to Avalon Technology AB (Solna, Sweden).
Over-The-Counter and Self-Care Products
- Conveen Optima silicone urisheath, manufactured and submitted by Coloplast A/S, Urology and Continence Care Div. (Kokkedal, Denmark). The Conveen Optima is a silicone urisheath for males suffering from urinary incontinence. Designed for easy application by gloved caregivers or by users with reduced hand dexterity, the device is appealing for both professional and personal-care markets.
Easypod subcutaneous injection device, manufactured and submitted by Merck Serono International SA (Geneva, Switzerland). Easypod is an electromechanical device for subcutaneous injection of medicinal products, and is marketed for adult and pediatric self-administration of growth hormone. Supply and design credit to Flextronics GmbH (Althofen, Austria), and PDD Group Ltd. (London, UK).
- Vicks Forehead thermometer, manufactured and submitted by Kaz Inc. (New York, NY). The Vicks Forehead thermometer is a noninvasive infrared thermometer for children and adults. It takes accurate readings by sweeping the probe across the temple. The product features a large color-changing display, backlight, and memory tracking. Supply and design credit to Scott Henderson Inc. (Brooklyn, NY).
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices
- Halo360 esophageal tissue ablation system, manufactured by BÂRRX Medical Inc. (Sunnyvale, CA). Entry submitted by Stellartech Research Corp. (Sunnyvale, CA). The Halo360 system is an esophageal tissue ablation device comprising a radio-frequency generator, sizing balloon, and ablation catheter. It removes precancerous esophageal epithelium in a short, well-tolerated endoscopic procedure. Supply and design credit to Accurate Injection Molds (Clinton Township, MI), Advanced Polymers Inc. (Salem, NH), All Flex Inc. (Northfield, MN), Stellartech Research, and TSI Inc. (Shoreview, MN).
LandmarX Element endoscopic image guidance system, manufactured by Medtronic Navigation (Louisville, CO). Entry submitted by Medtronic ENT (Jacksonville, FL). The LandmarX Element endoscopic image guidance system is designed for use in functional endoscopic sinus surgery. The system provides an automated software flow and navigation instruments with rotating arrays. Supply and design credit to Medtronic ENT (Jacksonville, FL).
- RT Vue retinal imaging system, manufactured by Optovue Inc. (Fremont, CA). Entry submitted by Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA). RT Vue is a diagnostic tool for creating highly detailed images and measurements of the retina, retinal nerve fiber layer, and optic disk. It is used by ophthalmologists to diagnose and manage retinal diseases such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. Supply and design credit to Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA).
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products
- Ness L300 leg neuroprosthesis, manufactured by Ness Ltd. (Ra’anana, Israel). Entry submitted by Bioness Inc. (Santa Clarita, CA). The Ness L300 is a noninvasive neuroprosthesis that delivers electrical stimulation to nerves and muscles in the leg, improving gait in those suffering from foot drop associated with central nervous system injury or disease. Supply and design credit to Aran Ltd. (Caesarea Business Park, Israel), and Jonathan Bar-Or Industrial Design Ltd. (Pardes Hanna, Israel).
- Pilot Walker enhanced mobility aid, manufactured by Full Life Products LLC (Moorestown, NJ). Entry submitted by Definitive Design (Langhorne, PA). The Pilot Walker is an enhanced mobility aid designed and engineered to meet the needs of patients with special mobility challenges. Supply and design credit to Definitive Design.
- Proprio Foot motor-powered prosthesis, manufactured and submitted by Ossur (Reykjavik, Iceland). The Proprio foot is the first artificially intelligent, motor-powered prosthetic foot. Suited for below-knee amputees, it offers physiological benefits such as automatic ankle flexion that are as close as current prosthetics can get to the human foot. Supply and design credit to Dynastream Innovations Inc. (Cochrane, AB, Canada).
Xtensor upper extremity therapy device, manufactured and submitted by Clinically Fit Inc. (Melville, NY). The Xtensor is a portable therapeutic conditioning device for correcting upper extremity disorders. It fully stimulates the extensor muscles, tendons, and finger joints, improving range of joint motion and reducing hand stiffness due to arthritis. Supply and design credit to HS Design Inc. (Gladstone, NJ).
Surgical Equipment, Instruments, and Supplies
- Mammotome MR breast biopsy system, manufactured and submitted by Ethicon Endo-Surgery (Blue Ash, OH). The Mammotome MR breast biopsy system is a vacuum-assisted breast biopsy system specifically designed for use under magnetic resonance imaging guidance. Supply and design credit to Nupro Design Ltd. (Loveland, OH), and Strategix Vision (Bozeman, MT).
- NexFrame deep-brain trajectory guidance system, manufactured and submitted by Image Guided Neurologics (Melbourne, FL). The NexFrame is a skull-mounted trajectory guide used to implant electrical leads for deep brain stimulation. It is a single-use device delivered to the customer prepackaged and EtO sterilized. Supply and design credit to Fredrick Haer & Co. (Bowdoin, ME), Reflex Medical Molding (White Bear Lake, MN), Surgical Navigation Technologies (Minneapolis, MN), and Vertex Technology LLC (St. Paul, MN).
- Pascal photocoagulator, manufactured and submitted by OptiMedica (Santa Clara, CA). The Pascal photocoagulator is an integrated semiautomatic pattern-scan laser photocoagulation system designed to treat retinal diseases using a single shot or a predetermined pattern array of up to 56 spots within 0.6 second. Supply and design credit to National Instruments (Austin, TX), Out of the Blue Design (San Francisco, CA), and RSID Studio (San Francisco, CA).
- Stryker Precision Saw, manufactured and submitted by Stryker Instruments (Kalamazoo, MI). The Stryker Precision Saw is an oscillating-tip surgical saw for cutting bone, typically in total knee arthroplasty. The design permits the surgeon to hold the stationary component of the blade, resulting in unprecedented control and precision. Supply and design credit to Bihler Weissenbach GmbH and Co. KG (Weissenbach, Austria), Ruetschi Technology (Muntelier, Switzerland), Sandvik Materials Technology (Sandviken, Sweden), Smithstown Light Engineering (Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland), and XL Engineering (Niles, IL).